MENU

Sunday, September 19, 2010

14 incher.

For awhile now I have tried to gain a better appreciation for fishing. My dad is an avid (and I mean AVID) fly fisherman, and I have never quite been able to understand it. The hours he can spend tying his own flies, getting the technique of whipping such a long line around without getting it all tangled, not to mention the monotony of casting repeatedly without so much as a bite. I tried to understand how he could do it for HOURS, several days in a row and I just didn't get it.

Well, this summer my parents, Max, and I went for a little weekend getaway to Craig, Montana, home to some of the world's best fly fishing. Turns out there is alot more to fly fishing than I thought...I'll admit, I was pretty ignorant. It also turns out that when you catch a 14 inch Rainbow trout as you are floating down the river in a driftboat, you get a bit of a rush.

IMG_5769
Pretty dang proud of this guy!
IMG_5776
IMG_5774
Day 1 we hadn't had much luck, but after 5 minutes on the river on day 2 I caught my prize catch. So naturally I wanted my dad to catch one, since it's pretty much his life long dream. And because he clearly has more skill than me...pretty sure mine was a fluke.
IMG_5788
Well he caught one alright, and I'll tell you, he was a fighter. Max had a bit of an interesting time getting him into the landing net.
IMG_5793
IMG_5796
IMG_5803
IMG_5804
IMG_5806
IMG_5816
I'll say it. I really enjoy fly fishing. Battling massive trout, lounging in the boat reading...it was a great time. I think I get where my dad is coming from now...

p.s. One more down...

3 comments :

  1. i just watched "a river runs through it" and reeeeeally wanna go fly fishing in missoula montana right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey #28! you did a shoot of me and blake AND of zac and hil! so take max's grad pictures and your golden!

    ReplyDelete