MENU

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Africa!

Oh Africa...where do I even start? This trip was a huge educational experience for me. Would I describe it as a "fun" trip? No. Although I did enjoy myself thoroughly (most of the time...haha), I think it opened my eyes to third world countries and how lucky we really are to live where we do.

It all started back in November when I randomly messaged my friend Ashley. I knew her dad had been over to Africa a bunch of times to do dental work, and I had thought about going somewhere with my nursing to do humanitarian work, so I just thought I'd get some info (not intending AT ALL to go somewhere in the near future). Well, turns out he was taking a group in January, so after making a few quick decisions and trading 2 weeks worth of shifts at work, Jade and I bought our plane tickets to Entebbe.

Day 1: Welcome to Africa. And the NILE! We got to our guest house at about 11:00 Friday night, and were picked up at 6:30 the next morning for our first adventure...white water rafting the Nile. (Yes, we are both nurses. Yes, traveller's health tells you not to swim in any fresh water because you could get diseased. And yes, we were willing to risk it). I mean really...class 5 rapids? How could we not?
CIMG4899
IMG_9536
IMG_9539
IMG_9532
The roads out to Jinja (the town near where we started rafting) were SO DUSTY! My purple hoodie was orange tinged after that bus ride...
IMG_9522
IMG_9526
IMG_9600
Our guest house was surprisingly quite nice. We even had hot water to shower! If you were willing to wait the 5 minutes for the water to heat up of course...
IMG_0089
IMG_0112
To be honest, Kampala wasn't my favorite city. Just imagine 2.2 million people crammed into the square mileage 1.5 times the size of Lethbridge. And 2 traffic lights. And traffic is CHAOS. The bigger the vehicle, the more right of way you have. Oh, and if you are a pedestrian...good luck. Just try not to get hit as you run across the street! This was Kamapala first thing in the morning...yes, that's the same city as a few pictures back. Gotta love pollution.
IMG_0051
IMG_0050
Sunday we headed to church at the Kololo Ward. I know people always say that its amazing how the church is the same everywhere, but I really got to experience that going to church in Africa. The members there are amazing! Their leadership is so on the ball, they are all attentive and humble and their contributions in lessons are incredible. It kind of blew me away.
CIMG4904
And of course, a Sunday afternoon nap.
CIMG4909
IMG_9589
CIMG4926
While the dental group was teaching their scaling course in Kampala, Jade and I went around to a few hospitals to observe. Drew obviously knew what he was doing when he set us up in the hospitals...the first one we went to was the Mengo Hospital, which is a private hospital. We did rounds with a couple of doctors there, and to be honest...the hospital was very similar to what we would do here (minus a couple of things...like doing a blood draw from the femoral artery...you healthcare professionals will be able to appreciate that...).

Next, we went to the Mulago Hospital, which is a public hospital. Things were a little different there...the hospital was HUGE! 5000 beds and once those fill up, they start putting people on the floor. And if we think there is a nursing shortage in Canada...try Uganda. 1 nurse for probably 20 patients or so. Its crazy. They just have one big room with people EVERYWHERE. How they can even keep track of everyone is beyond me.

The last hospital we went to go to has actually been knocked down and is being rebuilt, so we stopped by a clinic in the slums instead. HIV testing/treatment and family planning was pretty much their focus there...and that place was PACKED. Needless to say, I was happy to come home to a nice clean hospital to go to work at.

Tuesday night, the whole crew went to dinner at the Serenna, probably the nicest hotel in Kampala. After eating African food for a few days, we were all in heaven! (Not to mention their bathrooms were amazing!)
IMG_0096
IMG_0102
Wednesday morning, Jade and I got up early and got ready to head to Masaka to meet up with Brigitte, a nurse from Toronto. Brigitte and her husband have an amazing setup out in one of the villages. They run a clinic and school and have implemented little projects to help the people earn money to live. If they cannot pay for their medical services or school fees, they can work on the farm at the center to pay it off. (If you ever want to experience an African village...talk to Brigitte...this place was definitely my favorite!)
IMG_0120
Right before I went to use the "toilet" a salamander came crawling out of this...lovely...
IMG_0145
We were lucky enough to go do some home visits with Brigitte during our stay in the village. This house was built from donated money...about $300 will make an average sized brick home.
IMG_0139
Yes, that is Obama on that baby's sweater.
IMG_9624
IMG_9606
These next photos are my favorite. The women in the village have a craft club where they get together and make bowls, baskets, and mats and sell them. Half of the money goes back into the club to buy supplies and the other half goes to the women so they can buy what they need to live. Its become quite the operation, and they've even started doing some microfinancing...naturally Jade and I did some shopping at their place!
IMG_9632
IMG_9629
IMG_9634
This lady in the blue is one of my favorites. She kept pointing to our shoes and then to her feet (most of the people in the village spoke their native language so we couldn't communicate that well with them). I had brought a pair of old shoes that I had tried to throw away several times because they were so grungy, but I just couldn't because I always found myself wearing them. This was a win-win situation. Give the lady some shoes, and never be tempted to wear those beasts again. So I ran over to the house and grabbed the shoes and gave them to the "witch" (as she was affectionately known by the volunteers at the center). She cried and cried and hugged me, and cried some more. So naturally, I cried too. A good cry though. There was my lesson on gratitude for the trip.
IMG_9713
IMG_9706
IMG_9768
IMG_9671
IMG_9770
IMG_9728
The kids in Africa were my favorite. Their term for a white person is "Mizungo" and they would constantly be running up to us yelling "mizungo! mizungo! mizungo!" They were especially emphatic when I was carrying my camera around, and they love to pose!
IMG_9651
During our stay in the village we also helped out with a blood donor clinic. Everything is completely portable, so they just come to the village, set up some lawn chairs on the lawn, and go to town. Jade and I even donated blood (hey, now that we've been to Africa we can't donate at home for a while, so we might as well have done it there right?) Please note the size of that needle. 12 gauge. Enought said.
IMG_9626
IMG_9665
IMG_9637
The kitchen.
IMG_9681
The craft shop.
IMG_9670
The house for volunteers at the center.
IMG_9748
These two kids were the greatest! We played at the playground for a good hour at least. They kept laughing at me because I couldn't balance very well on the wooden posts. In their local language, they kept saying that I needed to go slow and take my time (we had one of the English speaking boys at the park translate for us). Well, they were right! Once I slowed it down, I was a pro on those posts.
IMG_0157
IMG_0154
IMG_0166
IMG_9765
IMG_9739
IMG_9732
IMG_9725
IMG_9717
IMG_9696
IMG_9682
IMG_9674
During the evening, we went out for a nice little motor bike ride with some of the villagers. This was a beautiful lookout onto the village and Lake Victoria.
IMG_0171
After our stay in the village, we were off to Queen Elizabeth Park for our safari! The place we stayed was so nice! They greeted us at the door with a warm wet washcloth and a glass of cold Passionfruit juice. Doesn't get much better than that!
IMG_0200
And yes, that's a lion. And an elephant. In the same picture. NBD.
IMG_9871
P.S. Did I mention I didn't edit any of the pictures in this post? It actually looked like that!
IMG_9881
The food did not disappoint at our safari lodge. Build your own pasta night was a favorite. As was the most incredible omlette I have ever eaten.
CIMG5029
They even came around in the evening to turn down our sheets and pull the mosquito nets!
IMG_0225
IMG_9931
IMG_9921
IMG_0101
IMG_0011
IMG_9934
IMG_9991
You can't really tell, but that's a crocodile laying on the grass...
IMG_0159
And who did we see there? Our friends from the village!
CIMG5170
Joseph is the bomb. He was pretty much our chaffeur the whole time we were in Uganda. If we were lost in Kamapala and wanted to go to the craft market, all we had to do was give him a call and he'd come pick us up. He was also our tour guide on the safari and is pretty much a genius when it comes to African wildlife.
CIMG5175
Sunday we hit the road again to go to Rwanda! We Canadians had a few minor issues getting into the country, but finally we caved and paid our $60 bucks and were on our way.
IMG_0024
Dinner at Hotel Rwanda. Like, the real thing.
CIMG5185
IMG_0032
The money dealing begins again...
CIMG5181
CIMG5184
Monday morning Drew came with us to the bus stop, gave us a couple tickets, and sent us on our way out to the Nyamata hospital. What a gongshow transportation is there! Pretty sure it cost us less than a dollar each for an hour bus trip. And I use the term bus lightly. More like minivan with 20+ people crammed into it. With Enrique cranked. Oh yeah...
IMG_0044
Our accomodations in Nyamata weren't quite what we were used to from the safari. For the first day or so our shower dripped non-stop. Yes, that massive garbage can is full. And I'm sure you can only imagine the smell in that nice musty bathroom. Confession...we didn't shower for 3 days while we were in Nyamata. Don't judge.
IMG_0061
It was kind of nice to be at the Nyamata hospital because we got to help out instead of observing most of the time. This is a pretty typical room in a hospital there.
IMG_0064
Doing some dressing changes on the surgical ward
IMG_0054
The snake bite wounds they have kind of blew my mind. They were huge!
IMG_0053
IMG_0052
CIMG5214
We had a cute little man that made us dinner every night, and for the most part, it wasn't too bad. I think its mostly because we were starved by the time dinner rolled around, but whatever...
CIMG5200
We had 4 meals there. And I'm pretty sure they were all the same...with some minor variations (mangos instead of pineapple, pasta instead of rice...)
CIMG5199
It was pretty cold in Nyamata, and rained alot of the time. Thankfully Jade brought Scrabble to keep us occupied!
CIMG5204
Our day in maternity was pretty crazy. I'll spare the details, but if you want to hear about it just ask me. It was insane. We helped deliver this baby. Now, keep in mind, I'm not a maternity nurse. I've been in on a few deliveries, but I am no means a professional. And doctors deliver babies in Canada, not nurses. So after this baby is born, the nurse looks at me and goes "I'm going to help with a different patient...can you deliver the placenta?". Uh...I don't know how to do that! Luckily, one of the other nurses could sense that and came to my rescue.
CIMG5212
CIMG5213
Nyamata Hospital
CIMG5210
Thursday was our last day in Africa. We headed back into Kigali and went to the Genocide museum. Before going to Rwanda I really didn't know much about the genocide, except that there was one. What a terrible thing. Again, I'm glad to live where we do. This was in the garden by the mass graves.
IMG_0249
I was much more of a fan of Kigali than I was Kampala. Kigali is CLEAN and beautiful! And they actually follow some sort of traffic laws. They even wear seatbelts! What a concept.
IMG_0246
Well there you have it. My Africa experience in a nutshell. A very small nutshell. I could go on for days about the things that I learned in Africa and how my perspective has changed about third world countries. I was pretty ignorant before I went there. I thought I'd just show up and they would love having me there to help and bring my expertise...wrong. They appreciated that we were there, but these people are very well educated. Their nursing programs are 4 year Bachelor's programs. They aren't stupid. They just don't have resources. Or infrastructure. Would I go back? Maybe some day, but to be honest, they do great with what they have. And who's to say that because they don't have everything that we have that we need to go in and change that? Its what they know, and they are happy living how they do. I think we could learn alot from their simplistic way of life. So there you go.

Lucky #13 & #42 - check!

14 comments :

  1. wow. Amy, your pictures are amazing. It really sounds like a crazy experience. One for the books, for sure. I'm glad you posted so much, but I want to hear more! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your trip sounded amazing! I know what you mean about it not being a "fun" trip. That's how I felt after going to Peru, but it's amazing to find when you have been back for a while the things you learned while you were there, and how much more greatful you are for the things you have. I could have read about your experience for days. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaaaawesome post, Amy!! Loved seeing these pictures and the trip sounds like it was so neat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the post Amy! What an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so great amy! Awesome, AWEsome.. I was told once to only use the word awesome, if it made you AWE and i can say that this post and being in Africa looks AWEsome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been so anxious to read this post! What an amazing experience. Your pictures are beautiful and your stories are fabulous... this made me teary at parts too! I can't wait to hear more! I want to meet up with you SOON! As does my dad of course...

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow. thanks for sharing that. great pictures and looks like a great experience. what an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, amy, amy.
    What great things you are doing with your life. Life's about living - you're doing just that!
    Thanks so much for sharing. I've been looking forward to reading about it.
    Your pictures are beautiful (as always.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES!! I wish this was longer! Thanks for sharing all of this! (and I almost puked my smoothie when I saw that giant open wound. no big deal)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So freaking cool Amy! Its so great you got to experiance that. I bet it changes your personal views on a lot of things! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy your trip looks truly amazing! I LOVE all the pictures! The children are so precious and all so beautiful, I love the photo of the baby looking over the mom's shoulder, and the one of you playing with the little boy, and the one of you holding the baby YOU DELIVERED- WOW! Like you said- it makes me so grateful for the blessings I have! My grandma served a mission in africa- 50+ years ago and she still talks about it all the time. I would love to go someday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like such an amazing and fulfilling experience!


    xoxo,

    colormenana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi, i don't know you and i can't quite remember how i stumbled across your blog but i LOVE IT! africa! amazing! i need to get over there - i also noticed a boise state shirt. i am from boise :) loving your blog and adventure. what you're doing is incredible - i don't know how you look at that sliced up foot and not wanna dieee, i can't handle it. appreciate your service!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete